Saturday, November 27, 2010

Maryland Science Center

Saturday I met up with one of my old high school friends, who I hadn't seen in 10 years, Kathy. She and her 3 boys met us at the Maryland Science Center in Baltimore for a fun morning out.

The Science Center use to be one of my favorite places to go. I remember spending the night there, on multiple occassions, for Girl Scout sleepovers. I've always loved that place! But I can't remember the last time I was there... it's been 5-10 years. And wow has it ever changed! Nothing was where it use to be, and they still have a lot of the older stuff, but there were some really great additions to the science center, too. Like a new dinosaur exhibit:

Nathan and Daddy dug for fossils


And they had some life-size dinosaurs, too


Peek-a-Boo!


In the planet & space exhibit, the boys liked all the spinning planets

And the building activity was a hit hile Kathy & I talked and caught up as we watched all the big & little boys.



Faith loved walking around, looking int he mirrors and seeing the astronaut suit.



And she read some books with her Daddy



In another part of the Science Center was a bed of nails you could lay on. Jacob & I each did it. But I couldn't convince Nathan to give it a try. The nails were very dull, and it just felt like laying on the floor.



In the Body exhibit, he did like pushing the balls through the netting - it was to show how food moves down to your stomach - and it had plenty of gross sound effects!


And there were bones to play with, too.


Another great new area of the Science Center is a Kid's Room. It was like a miniature version of the New Braunfel's Children's Museum that we recently visited in Texas. I wish we could have spent more time in there - the kids loved it. But they did have to eat and nap at some point that day... ;-)



Of course, Nathan was like a magnet to the train table!



And there were all kinds of activity centers to manipulate balls down tracks.



Then there was a river! Nathan forgot all about the trains when he saw water! Thankfully, they had smocks to help keep the kids dry.


Faith loved the water, too!


The kids even played nicely together at the river!


And Daddy enjoyed manipulating the water with all the pipes to build and put together in the water, too!




After the Kids Room, we headed downstairs to eat our lunches and then it was back to see the things we'd missed before heading home to take naps.


Nathan liked the bouncey balls that showed how energy transfers.



And he liked the air thing that kept a beach ball floating in mid-air.



And, of course, he loved pushing all the buttons on the other exhibits he didn't understand.



We headed out on a search for the giant animatronic blue crab, the one I slept under during one of those sleep overs I mentioned earlier. The blue crab use to be on the 2nd floor of the Science Center, outside an exhibit all about the Chesapeake Bay and outside the gift shop, too. None of that is on the 2nd floor any longer. So we went looking for it - and Nathan, Faith & Jacob stopped for a break to enjoy the view of the Inner Harbor while I looked.


And I found it! It now has a bigger area to hang out - although, it doesn't move anymore. It was fun to see that the Science Center kept it!



On our way back out, we stopped to play with the infamous satelites - that you can whisper in and hear your friend from the other side of the room.


Before we left, we attempted to take a group photo of all our kids.
Wow, its crazy to think of how much our lives have changed in the 13 years since high school. We're moms! Of some serious cute kids, if I do say so myself ;-)

No comments: