Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Weekend With Great Siblents.

We just got back from our weekend of meeting more of Nathan’s Great Siblents at Smith Mt Lake, VA. What’s a siblent? I’m glad you asked!

A mother and a father together are called parents. A daughter and a son are called children. A granny and a grandpa are grandparents. A sister and a brother are siblings. But there is no one word to describe nieces and nephews or uncles and aunts. Until now. Yup, I came up with one. And with your help, it could become a world-wide phenomenon and be in Websters’ next edition! Siblents are the siblings of your parents… or aunts & uncles. So much easier to say that way, don’t you think? I haven’t thought much on a word to describe nieces & nephews yet… got any good ideas?

So we met Nathan’s Great Siblents on my mom’s side this weekend, in Virginia. And boy did we have a great weekend! We spent much of it on the water... boating, kayaking, jet skiing, tubing, swimming, etc. And my good friend and roommate from seminary, Hitomi, came over to join us part of the day Saturday. It was so great to see her and introduce her to Nathan. She agrees, its kinda scary to think I’m a parent ;)

Well, here are some pictures & videos to enjoy from our weekend with grandparents, great siblents and Hitomi!

Nathan on his first boat ride. Notice the hat, sunglasses and sandals. He's so stylish!


Nathan LOVED the boat ride. At least what he didn't sleep through.


Nathan's Great Uncle Mike is driving his boat like a pro


Jacob tubing - before he was thrown off


Kim tubing - before being thrown off


Hitomi tubing - only she was never thrown off!

Hitomi is too light - she couldn't be thrown from the tube.
But she did go air born and do a few "superman" moves.

Bear with this video. The boat was really bouncing around as Jacob rode on the tube. But its worth trying to watch for Jacob's dismount :)

He's another video of Jacob getting thrown off the tube. The dismount is not quite as creative, but its funny to watch none-the-less!

Here's my turn. Jacob cut the video off just before I bailed. If you watch close enough you can see I'm screaming "STOP!" "SLOW DOWN!". Of course the boys on the boat thought I was just saying hi or something... so I held on for dear life and the moment the boat slowed, I bailed. I got braver the next day, but no one got that dismount on video - I think it would have riveled Jacob's first one - it took a second or too before I felt water on more than one body part at a time.

Uncle Mike tried to get us both on the tube. He said he'd had 3 people on it before. After 3 failed attempts, though, he admitted that they were three little kids...

My mom in a kayak! I was so proud of her - she did great!


Gotta love that face! My Uncle Mike was making her do all the work!


Jacob on the jet ski


Mommy, Daddy & Nathan


Gramma & Nathan


Hitomi meets Nathan


Great Aunt Helen meets Nathan


The Great Siblents


Duck butts. The ducks were eating clams. Yes, clams... in a lake...
I know, its weird. It was funny to watch them.

Nathan's favorite chair.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

It looks like all of you had a wonderful time. You are braver than I beacause I would never try tubing.Something about skipping across the lake with your body makes me say no...lol!

Stephen and Laura Timmons said...

I think Sibrens for children of your siblings - nieces and nephews.

Enjoyed the post!