I'm not a singer. I can't write music or sing it well. But I do have tongs. And I plan to use them!When the Israelites crossed the Jordan river, God asked them to gather twelve large stones from the river bed and place them on the ground as a memorial. Joshua told the people "In the future your children will ask you, 'What do these rocks mean?' Tell them ... The Lord did this so all people would know He has great power and so you would always respect the Lord your God.'" (Joshua 4:21-24)
Samuel did a similiar thing with the ebenezer stone he set up after God confused the Philistines in battle. It was to be a memorial for what God did to protect His people. Even the Lord's supper is an example of a physical memorial God uses to remind us of what He has done.
My tongs are a memorial now, too. I will continue to use them - remembering the time God kept Nathan & I safe from the explosion on the porch. Had I gotten Nathan up when he cried and then gone onto the porch, we very likely would have been standing in front of the grill at the moment of explosion. But God kept us safe. He kept the fire contained to the brick side of the porch, limited what was destoryed and He kept it from getting in our home or burning anyone.
When Nathan - or future children - ask me why I'm using half melted, singed and blackened tongs. I will proudly tell them all the Lord our God did for us to protect us that day - and we'll think of other times in our lives that He is with us, too.
What are the "stones" of rememberance in your home?
1 comment:
We had a plant that we bought the day we moved away from everything familiar (family, friends, church, etc.) to live in Louisville for Bucky to attend seminary. However, we left it on the back porch this year and the cold weather killed it. Oops!
Post a Comment