It's been a long time since I last posted a "lesson in mommyhood"... but recently my children reminded me of a lesson they like to teach me, repeatedly: Flexibilty.
When I have plans, a place to be, something to do, or am looking forward to a moment of "me time", I can count on the fact that my kids will have other plans. They'll slow me down, or completely change my direction all together. Reminding me to be patient, compassionate and take time to smell the roses.
Thus was the case the other day... I had just fed Nathan and folded laundry while he ate. Faith needed to eat soon. And then it would finally be my turn. I was hungry. I cleaned Nathan up - and set him down to play while I quickly put the laundry away. I grabbed food for Faith and went to get her. Both kids had been happily playing in the hallway while I put the laundry away... But they were no longer there. And then I heard it... Nathan teaching his sister about something he discovered himself when he was about her age...
When I have plans, a place to be, something to do, or am looking forward to a moment of "me time", I can count on the fact that my kids will have other plans. They'll slow me down, or completely change my direction all together. Reminding me to be patient, compassionate and take time to smell the roses.
Thus was the case the other day... I had just fed Nathan and folded laundry while he ate. Faith needed to eat soon. And then it would finally be my turn. I was hungry. I cleaned Nathan up - and set him down to play while I quickly put the laundry away. I grabbed food for Faith and went to get her. Both kids had been happily playing in the hallway while I put the laundry away... But they were no longer there. And then I heard it... Nathan teaching his sister about something he discovered himself when he was about her age...
And how it's silly when you get toilet water on your eyelashes...
And yes, I know... I'm a terrible mother. I heard the splashing and giggling and I knew there was only one source of water where they were... But instead of scolding them, I grabbed my camera as I headed down the hallway. And yes, I took multiple photos of my kids doing nasty things. They were already covered in it... what was the harm for 2 more minutes?
After our fun, it was off to a group bath, new clothes, and clean bodies.
THEN I could feed Faith.
THEN I could eat my own meal. 45 minutes after I'd hoped to eat.
Flexibility... oh the joys of mommyhood. :)
2 comments:
This is awesome! What a moment. :)
PS... this is Karen. Forgot to sign in my personal account. I am getting blogs scheduled for tomorrow!
Post a Comment